Department of Philosophy,
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Paper –I RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
Time: 3 Hours
Theory Examination Marks: 80
Internal Assessment Marks: 20
Total Marks: 100
Note: Out of Four Units, Eight Questions will be set. From each unit two alternative questions, equitably distributed over the unit, will be set. The examinees will have to attempt five questions in all, selecting at least one question from each unit. All the questions will be of equal marks.
Unit –I: Introduction to Research Methodology.
1. Meaning, Definition and Importance of Research in Philosophy.
2. Preparation of a Seminar Paper& Research Proposal/Synopsis
3. Selection of Topic and Writing of a Dissertation/Thesis
4. Methods of references and Preparation of Bibliography.
Unit –II: Methods for doing Philosophy:
1. Nyaya –Sutra Method
2. The Socratic Method
3. Dialectical Method.
4. Rational Dialogue Method
5. Critical Method& Analytical Method.
Unit-III: Things Philosophers do:
1. Exposit, Speculate, Prescribe, Describe, Criticise and Synthesis.
2. Reasoning: Inductive and Deductive
3. Objectives of Philosophy and importance of Philosophy in Recent Times
4. Philosophy and its Fundamental Basic Problems.
.Unit –IV: Nature of Philosopical Inquiry:
1. How Philosophical Inquiry is different from other disciplines.
2. Synopsis as peculiar characteristic of Philosophy.
3. Some Methods of Speculative Philosophy.
4. Critical appraisal of presuppositions
RECOMMENDED BOOKS FOR PAPER-I
2. Broad, C.D., “Two Lectures on the Nature of Philosophy” in “Clarity is not
Enough”(ed) by.H.D.Lewis, George Allen and Unwin Ltd., 1963(See First Lecture for
topic no.2 of Unit-IV.and see II lecture for topic no.III of Unit-IV)
3. Richard E. Creel, Thinking Philosophically, Blackwell Publishers:
4. J.N.Sinha:Introduction to Philosophy, New Central Book Agency Pvt. Ltd. Kolkata
5. Patric, G.T.W., Introduction to Philosophy, Surjeet Publicatio,